Genshin · Forums
EN

Genshin: Elemental System Analysis

Originates from: Tavern
Post Published: 06-21 Last Edited: 06-21

Translated from: https://bbs.mihoyo.com/ys/article/1356030

God damn it Majesty, I can't be bothered with the whole thing I'll compress this.

Elements

Elements are the building blocks of the world. When different elements interact with one and another, it will create special effects. The elements are Hydro, Pyro, Cryo, Geo, Anemo, Electro, and Dendro (Water, Fire, Ice, Earth, Wind, Electric, Grass).

One thing to note, Physical damage is not an element, but can be expressed as an element in game. Both Elemental and Physical damage are affected by Defense, Physical is a damage type by itself, but is not different from Elemental damage in general. (Consider Physical to be basically just a 8th Element)

Elemental Affliction

When coming in contact with elements, character will become afflicted with the element and create special effects.

1. Units in contact with Cryo, Pyro, Electro, Hydro elements, will become afflicted with the elements for a duration. Cryo affliction will cause reduced movement speed. Hydro will cause wetness, exposing the unit to near by electro effects.

2. Anemo, Dendro, Geo affects will no remain attached on the units, Geo can interact units based on special effects, Dendro effect will appear on units due to the special ability of certain monsters but have no actual effect.

3. Geo state can cause a crystallization effect, this will reduced damage from elements other than geo.

Dungeon Elements

Dungeons sometimes have harmful elements lingering around causing negative effects that can only be resolved by Elemental Reactions. Methods to negate them will be discussed under Elemental Reactions

Slowing Waters: Increase skill cooldown

Frozen Ice: Increased stamina expenditure

Burning Fire: Damage over time

Devouring Lightning: Consume elemental energy

Elemental Reaction

There are 9 types of known reactions, Reactions are divided into Transforming, Amplifying (temporary terms) and Other effects.

Amplifying Effects

Firstly, Amplifying effects do not do damage but will increase the damage done by a follow up attack. (numbers are multipliers, 2.0 = double damage)

Evaporation: Reaction dispels elemental affliction on target. Water reactions are stronger than fire.

Water>Fire x2.0

Fire>Water x1.5

Melting: Reaction dispels elemental affliction Fire reaction are stronger than Ice

Fire>Ice x2.0

Ice > Fire x1.5

(Translator notes: I believe the author refers to attacking with Water on a target on fire gives better damage outcome than using Fire on wet targets)

Transforming effects

Overload: Fire + Electric causes overload, targets explode causing Fire AoE damage

Super Conductor: Ice + Electric causes AoE Ice damage and defense down (-30%) Damage and Area inferior to overload, Duration = 8s

Spread: Wind + Water/Fire/Electric/Ice, Spreads the effect, deals samll AoE damage, causes elemental affliction and reactions accordingly.

Electrocharged: Electric + Water, deals DoT Electric damage. If there are water elemental enemies around, the effect will intermittently shock those surrounding enemies. Electric element can also cause water terrain to become electrified, dealing damage to all units in water. Electrocharged drops the water affliction (wetness) , The number of times Electrocharged shocks nearby wet units correlates with the number of wet units around. If units are shocked then wet, then both electric and water afflictions remain

Transforming effects deal damaged based on character level, while disregaring attack power, elemental damage multiplier, critical hit rate and damage (they can't even crit) and will change based on individual creature's elemental resistance. For example a lvl 40 character activating overload, if the enemy has 0 fire resist then damage will always be 324. If the enemy has 10% fire resist then 324*0.9=291.6 rounded up to 292 damage. This damage disregards level and defense stats.

Chart displays Overload(red) vs Super Cond(blue) damage based on level

Based on current CBT data the damage increases are dictate by 3 functions. Though since no one has a max level character the data maybe inaccurate.

1. Damage scales linearly with level increase

2. Reset the value every 33rd level.

3. Starting at level 20, every 10th level multiple the sum of value 1. and value 2. by 3. Every 20th level multiply value 1 and value 2 by 6.

1. 数值跟随等级成长的直线方程;

2. 每33级重置回起始点的指数函数;

3. 从20级开始每10级将函数1和函数2相加的和乘以3,每20级将函数1和函数2相加的和乘以6的 越阶函数;

(I'm leaving the Chinese here because I'm not sure I got it all right)

Other Elemental Reaction

Burning: Fire + Grass, Grass burns and deal fire damage. Unless interrupted, it'll burn until all grass element has been expended.

Frozen: Ice+ Water, Unit is frozen, can't move. unit cannot move or attack but defense remains unchanged, shield enemies that are frozen are still shielded.

Crystallization: Geo + Water/Fire/Electric/Ice Protects against the crystallized element. The shield absorbs damage and will fail after sustaining certain amount of damage, damage absorbed scales with character level. Order matters, Geo must be applied before the crystallizing element. Otherwise it does nothing.

Shatter: When attacking a frozen target with a big hit it will cause the ice to shatter, shatter dispels frozen, and deals physical damage. Damage scales with character level, is affected by target physical resistance, but disregards level, defense, and other stat. (So far in game Elemental Master does not increase shatter damage, bug reported)

Hidden Mechanics on Elements

Elemental counters

All elemental affliction have counters that decrease overtime, reactions may change based on the amount of elemental counters remaining. When 2 elements react if the amount of element counters are similar the 2 will both drop. Spreading and Electrocharged will produce new elemental counters, while overload, super conduction etc. will expend all elemental counters. Burning will expend grass counters a create fire counters. This effect can be seen with elemental slimes that after many elemental reaction actually lose their inherent elemental characteristics and need to regenerate it from the surrounding area

(Left the Chinese in because this one in particular was kind of difficult)

元素附着量

所有元素在产生元素附着时会有一个随时间推移不断减少的元素附着量,触发元素反应时会根据当前对象附着的元素量产生一些微妙的变化,如超导反应减防的持续时间,冻结效果的持续时间,扩散反应能否正常发生等。

同样基于该机制的存在,两个元素发生反应时,如果元素附着量差异不大,会直接两两抵消;而扩散、感电能产生新的元素量故发生反应后仍表现为对应元素和雷元素附着,超载、超导这类则会将本身附着的///元素消耗掉;燃烧则会一直消耗草元素产生火元素,反应结束后表现为火元素附着

该机制的直接体现为游戏中存在的元素各异的史莱姆、无相系列怪物。大型史莱姆和史莱姆会在数次反应后失去自身的元素从而需要从周围空气中重新汲取,而元素量更大的无相系列和狂风之核则不用这么做。

Elemental Reaction requirements

It is known 2 at least 2 elements are needed in reaction, when attacking a monster, damage is caused through elemental reaction on the monster. However, no damage is done with reactions when the player or monster applies elemental afflictions on themselves. It can be used to absolve negative afflictions. If environment reaction occurs then damage dealt is little to no damage as well.

Elemental diminishing returns

{Under testing} When repeating the same elemental reactions in short intervals the reaction Overload, Super conduction and shatter may deal little or no damage. Electrocharged works fine it seems

Immunity

If a target has more than 100% elemental resistance it is immune to that damage. But in the game overload and super conduct will cause damage to fire and ice slimes, but damage is not displayed, nor does it display immune message. There for damage is unable to be calculated.

Elemental Shield

Some monsters can make shields to block damage, while the shield is up the target can avoid interruptions. The shield has its own defense and resistance values, but since no one has seen a shield smack someone, the attack power is unknown, the armor on geo and ice slimes and shields of goblins are like this.

Reading is good, commenting is better::
  • All comments
  • Author only
Sort:Ascending

*me looking at Dendro being left out with just one reaction*

06-21
Replies
All dendro is. Is fuel for Pyro
Replies
_(Cheers)
Replies
View all replies >
Manage

Wait - I'm sure I've seen a 'Grow' reaction with Hydro before...

06-21
Replies
what 
_(TeaTime)
Replies
It's hard to know what dendro really does as we got no playable character yet.
I wouldn't be surprised to see hydro + dendro combo.
Might even see geo + dendro, who know...
Replies
View all replies >
Manage

This is like pokemon but on steriods

06-21
Replies
I think pokemon is more on steroids than this... I don't think you've *SEEN* pokemon charts my dood
Replies
Considering how straight forward combat is, this adds a lot of good depth to it.
Replies
View all replies >
Manage

In Abyss I found that Overcharge is much more valuable than Overload, as huge defdown was increasing damage dealt by my dps characters tremendously. Overload is still extremely good to clean groups of enemies with small HP bars, thought.

06-21
Replies
Manage

> Shatter: When attacking a frozen target with a big hit it will cause the ice to shatter, shatter dispels frozen, and deals physical damage.

I dont remember this in CBT2 and I proposed this for them, lol.

This means that Chongyun or next Water Claymore character would be super good dps when combined together.

For example: You cast Xingqui Swords + Ulti -> Swap to Chongyun and cast frost land. This well froze enemies every single hit. And this will shatter enemies every single hit, as Claymore user hits are "hard hitting".

Now I want to test Chongyun even more :D

Sadly that I will still need Xingqui (this guy seems like ultimate support for melee and almost irreplaceable, insane character).

06-21
Replies
Manage

Wot? Iam in confusion

06-21
Replies
Manage

06-21
Replies
Manage

I can't believe people had the free time to sit around and test all of this out.

Good job sla- I mean volunteer, I'll be expecting you to translate every article I throw at you henceforth.

06-22
Replies
Manage

Hmm, interesting...

06-22
Replies
Manage

Interesting elemental dynamics. Can't wait to see and try it out myself in the near future.

06-23
Replies
Manage

Cool

07-04
Replies