Genshin · Forums
EN

i feel really bad for chinese culture when people praise japan in keqing introduction video

Originates from: Tavern
Post Published: 09-14

a chinese character with chinese name , her sword play is obvious design after sword cultivation sect in chinese wuxia fantasy , using Jian (chinese sword)

you can clearly see her using two sword fingers and hold sword with reverse grip strange behind her back after ever move . that is unique Jian pose only exist in chinese culture

but chinese culture in the world today become so irrelevant to the point nobody care about it and automatically praise japan in the comment : ronin ninja skill , minato flying thunder god , ...etc

being half-chinese see people from other countries said that hurt me alot , do our culture really that bad ? nobody care , nobody bother to learn , nobody know . people praise japanese culture for something cools that obvious 100% chinese really ?

Reading is good, commenting is better::
  • All comments
  • Author only
Sort:Ascending
Manage

For the most part it is probably a matter of first impressions and familiarity. The art style of the game is the first thing people experience, and the anime influences of the character design are obvious. Added to that, even if they are not fans of anime or manga people globally are more likely to have been exposed to these media than to Chinese comics and animation, as Japan is a much longer and more prominent global exporter of comic and animated entertainment culture. Chinese and Korean webcomics that feature inspirarion from wuxia and cultivator stories are having a rising moment but they aren't yet at the same level of automatic recognition for most of the audience. Perhaps playing the game will help in this respect, as Liyue is not subtle about being a Chinese-influenced fantasy culture, and there will be an in-game Japanese-influenced fantasy culture to contrast it with.

09-14
Replies
Manage

Almost non of the characters in-game look exclusively "Japanese" yet all of them are being associated with anime culture. And nobody is complaining really.

Mainly, because the the target audience for this game are people that are into anime and many thing that are related to Japanese culture.

I can understand your frustration, but don't make it seem like others are belittling your culture. It's all about the outreach really.

09-14
Replies
Manage

Tfw when there's an actual JP themed region but people make that mistake anyways.

09-14
Replies
today anime + sword + "look like a cute catgirl" = super cool japanese ninja/samurai waifu _(Dislike)
Replies
lol.. Even though I watch anime and am non Chinese, I found it crazy to use explicitly japanese terms in Lieyue (hope the name is correct)..
Replies
Manage

Don't think doing comparisons based on previous experiences with new is a bad thing.

I'm not of Chinese descent(or Asian for that matter) but I do love Chinese culture and have spent many many thousands of hours reading translated Chinese web novels(text based drugs).

09-14
Replies
Manage

Well, there are some people who actually still believe genshin impact is just a japanese anime...

I think the Japan culture is something people are used to (mostly due to animes). Probably is nothing really truly against chinese culture itself, it looks like a matter of really *not knowing* enough of the chinese culture to be able to tell things apart. Most people look at the animeish style of GI and automatically associate it to Japan.

It sucks, but I wouldn't take it too personal.

I think GI is a great opportunity for people to get to know more about chinese culture (specially with Liyue city)

09-14
Replies
Manage

Who tf thought it was Japanese? The name itself should've given it away. If anything, I think there's plenty of praise to China. MiHoYo is a chinese company, and the first ever region they released (other than mondstadt) was based off of China.

09-14
Replies
Manage

That's pretty sad when you think about it.

I personally, wouldn't know the difference between these things. But I don't praise any particular culture for making something because I wouldn't know the difference. But it is pretty cool to know that the pose, and the grip etc comes from a specific culture which is pretty cool.

Sorry dude about the fact that people seem oblivious & ignorant but I'm sure if they really knew - they wouldn't say anything about it being Japanese. Chinese culture is beautiful

09-14
Replies
devs team design her combat style really well after wuxia culture where female sword cultivator usually focus more on unpredictable acrobatics attack (ahsoka tano in starwars too) , make use of highly mobility footwork for defense . male sword cultivator on the other hand offen choose focus on real fast strange foward attack or slow but sure defense and parry to counter attack .(obiwan kenobi)
Replies
Manage

Unless someone knows the swordplay, they definitely wont recognize its origin. Unless someone knows what a Jian is, they wont recognize its origin, either. They'll see a katana-esque sword and just immediately think "Japan!" since that's the most mainstreamed east Asian culture right now. If you see comments like that, just educate them.

I'm sure they'll enjoy learning about it! The best way to spread culture is simply education

09-14
Replies
Manage

Hmm.. the developers are Chinese... so hahaha idk

09-14
Replies
Manage

i knew it was a chinese themed character the moment i saw the name/swordplay

09-14
Replies
Manage

Its not really something that could be changed honestly. Cause while people who are familiar with Chinese design can notice it immediately, there is almost zero reach of them to the general public. Like whoever sees this will think of it as Anime and since Anime is from Japan is quite easy to make a mistake.

Think about it, just imagine the same character in normal clothes, you don't know her name and nothing, would you just not think it was a tsundere anime girl?

My point is China make little to nothing in regards to anime, and whatever they make either stay in China or are never translated.

I really cant say i understand how you feel but you should see that we barely get any material from China, and most of them are novels.

09-14
Replies
Manage

Unfortunately, most people in the west know pretty much nothing about the differences between different Asian cultures.

09-14
Replies
basically how EU though south native americans was/and has the same culture as the north native americans q:
Replies
true true
Replies
Manage

I'm Chinese and I totally understand where your coming from. But although Genshin Impact is made by this super talented chinese company, it is clearly obvious the game takes lots of influence from Japan games / anime. Japan has just been doing this for such long time that it is already ingrain into lots of people. Just look at the all-star Japanese VAs! Its just hard for westerners to differentiate between Chinese / Japanese history/culture.

I be irritated if westerners thought the game in development Black Myth: Wukong is Japanese though.

09-14
Replies
Manage

;;; i felt this. Like, yes, her animations/skills are superficially similar to darkbolt jonin from hi3, but especially how she handles her sword, is clearly chinese.

09-14
Replies
Manage

Tbf this art style has been associated with JP since forever, and manga, anime are definitely more popular than donghua or manhua.

09-14
Replies
Manage

As a westener I would find it pitiful, if cultures get reduced to, if people recognize something overly special and unique as in a tradition of a kind things, that mostly only people which were born and live with this culture, actually have the slightest chance of knowing at all these differences, you know?

Chinese culture is so much more, than just how a video game character fights with a sword in an anime style based fantasy game.

But even the most uncultured player under the sun should be fully able to understand, that as a character from Liyue, which is designed after chinese culture, Keqing simply can't have anything to do with japanese culture that needs to be praised for over the chinese one. One look at Ayaka is even for uncultured people enough to see a visual difference in culture design between Japan and China in case of Keqing in comparson for that no one needs to know any super special unique sword styles from a culture, just a look is enough.

09-15
Replies