Genshin · Forums
EN

Is there a "canon" protagonist?

Originates from: Tavern
Post Published: 09-16

While the Traveler can be both Aether (male) or Lumine (female), does anyone know if there's a canon Traveler narrative-wise? It would be pretty jarring if the game ends up having a canon protagonist and we're stuck with the non-canon one.

On another note, who would you pick to start your adventure in Teyvat? Personally, I might go with Aether as he kinda fits the adventurer mold better (for roleplaying purposes)... as well as Lumine (CV: Aoi Yuki) shouldn't be wasted on a silent protagonist.

Reading is good, commenting is better::
  • All comments
  • Author only
Sort:Ascending
Manage

Canon...?

Also, Lumine team here!

09-16
Replies
Canon means something that's part of the story that is set up by the writers
Replies
Manage

I don't think Mihoyo stated about a canon MC but in the released trailers it's clearly Aether.

09-16
Replies
In art pieces released as well, it is generally Aether shown with playable characters. Also, in the beta build I played the voiced dialogue all assumed you had chosen Aether even if you had chosen Lumine, using male pronouns for the protagonist even if the subtitles and reality disagreed. This will probably be fixed by release (I hope) but it may show prioritization of one choice over the other.
Replies
Hm, that's interesting. Guess I'll be going Aether then. Played Lumine during CBT2 but didn't catch on to those pronouns (too engrossed with the game lol).
Replies
Manage

I believe that the two twins are the protagonists, and there is not just one. I will go with Aether too!

09-16
Replies
Manage

I thought it was Aether & Lumine... :<

09-16
Replies
Manage

On official content Aether is the character that meets Paimon.

09-17
Replies
Manage

Both characters are canon, only the real antagonist of the game's story is Lumine

09-17
Replies
The question is basically, "Which of the siblings are the writers imagining in which situation when they write the story?" Most indicators are that the writers are imagining that Aether is the one going around doing the "protagonist" stuff that the player does, while Lumine is the one that gets whisked away in the opening, only to reappear later in an apparent "antagonist" role. The player can swap these if they want, the person asking just wants to know if one choice is more "correct."
Replies
Manage

Well, they released a story trailer that seemed to lean towards the idea the Aether is the canon protagonist and that Lumine is the canon antagonist. Though, this could always change and flip flop in the future--but this seems to be the case right now.

09-17
Replies
Manage

Well they had to choose one to use as a protagonist in trailers and stuff.I think MiHoYo is going with Aether as the protagonist.

I will be going with Lumine however!!

09-17
Replies